Halloween Stab Bound Book

I tried another book binding method figuring that it didn’t look too challenging – Japanese Stab Binding.  Boy was I wrong!

The covers were created with book board covered with scrapbooking paper and black book cloth plus waxed linen thread.  I used the following two videos by Paul Baumgartner as my main resource.

The main issues I encountered were:
  •  Punching the holes through the book block and covers.  I tried to use an awl and it wasn’t strong enough.  This created ragged edges on the sewing holes and caused the covers and book block to be misaligned.  Solution: Use the right tool – Japanese Screw Punch (I’ve just ordered one from Hollanders.)

  • I used too much glue on the text block, but that is something that can be remedied with practice.  Some instructions don’t include gluing the text block, but I found it really helped to keep the holes aligned when punching the sewing holes.


It was okay for a first attempt – I’ll be trying more in the coming weeks.  Let me know in the comments if you’ve made a book with this style binding.

I’m having a declutter in my studio and trying to save some money to take two book arts classes at the Mass College of Art in January.  I have some stamps listed on Splitcoaststampers and up top on the  Stamps for Sale page.  Many more unmounted stamps to be added – check back again soon.

Thanks for stopping by!

Ali

3 Thoughts on “Halloween Stab Bound Book

  1. As always, I’m impressed by your skill. Beautiful work.

  2. Just amazing Ali!

  3. It is quite incredible especially as your first attempt and not having the correct tools (!).
    This really is a beautiful book Ali.
    Wishes
    Lynne

Join the conversation

Post Navigation