Tutorial: How to Make a Scrapbook in a Box
In this post you’ll learn how to make a great project called Scrapbook in a Box (sometimes called Explosion Box). It’s great for showcasing photos from one particular event, such as a holiday, short vacation or a baby’s first weeks. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Paper cutter with cutting and scoring blade
- Metal edge ruler
- Bone folder
- Xacto knife
- Self healing cutting mat
- Sharp scissors
- 4 pieces of 12″x12″ plain and patterned card stock – I used Echo Park’s Bundle of Joy Collection
- 36″ ribbon
- Scoretape or Be Creative tape
1. Cut the 4 pieces of card stock to the following dimensions using the paper cutter. Set aside the scraps for later.
- 7 3/8″ x 7 3/8″ (this is the lid)
- 9″ x 9″
- 10 1/2 x 10 1/2″
- 12″ x 12″
2. Replace the cutting blade with a scoring blade, and score the 3 pieces on both sides at the following measurements to create a square or tic-tac-toe pattern.
- 7 3/8″ x 7 3/8″ – score at 1 1/2″ and 5 7/8″ on both sides
- 9″ x 9″ – score at 3″ and 6″ on both sides
- 10 1/2″ x 10 1/2″ – score at 3.5″ and 7″ on both sides
- 12″ x 12″ – score at 4″ and 8″ on both sides
3. Gently fold along the score lines to help with cutting. Set aside the lid and cut out corner squares in the remaining squares of card stock for form cross shapes using the ruler, xacto knife and cutting mat.
4. Using the bonefolder, crease along score lines to begin forming the box.
5. Cut strips of strong adhesive tape (I used Be Creative Tape) and attach to underside of 2 smaller box pieces.
6. Peel off backing from the tape and stack the 3 box pieces together. Press firmly to secure.
7. Now it’s time to create the lid. You don’t need to cut out the corners squares, just cut down one side from the edge to the scored line, follow photo below.
8. Place pieces of tape at all 4 corners of box lid, following the photo below.
9. Peel off backing from tape and fold in the tabs to form the box lid.
10. Place a piece of ribbon around the edge of the lid and secure with tape. Add decorative paper or stickers to the top.
12. Take a scrap left over from the card stock you used for the lid, and cut a strip of card stock measuring 11 1/4″ x 2 1/4″ and score at 2 1/4″ intervals.
13. Fold along score lines and crease with the bone folder. Fold into a small accordion book. Place adhesive on the underside and stick into center of box. If you wish, you can place a 12″ piece of ribbon underneath and tie to secure. This is a great place for journaling.
14. Fill the book with photographs and decorative items. Enjoy!
If you make this project or have made one in the past, I’d love to see it. Please leave a link in the comments so I can check it out.
I’ll include these instructions in a handy printable PDF in an upcoming newsletter. If you’d like to be on the mailing list, please sign up here.