Today I’m sharing a fabric-covered altered book I created late last year. Here’s how I made it:
- I started with a children’s book (a Golden one, I believe), opened it up flat, and measured the height and width of the covers and spine.
- I cut one piece of muslin that was 1/2″ larger all the way around than the entire book.
- Onto this muslin base, I machine stitched strips of vintage linens and lace, found fabrics in cotton, silk, and velvet, and hand dyed fabrics.
- Onto these strips, I added hand embroidery, buttons, and beads.
- I attached a piece of thin copier paper to the back with heat-activated fusible webbing (I used Steam-A-Seam).
- Using bookbinding PVA, I attached the paper-backed fabric to the book cover, allowing the fabric to hang over the edges a little.
Here’s the fabric altered book front cover:
And here’s the fabric altered book back cover. I’ll share the inner pages in another blog post soon. If you have any questions, feel free to comment below.