Today I’m sharing an altered book I created late last year. What’s different about this book is its fabric cover. Here’s how I made it:
- I started with a children’s book (a Golden one I believe), opened it up flat and measured the height and width of the covers and spine.
- I cut one piece of muslin that was 1/2″ larger all the way around than the entire book.
- Onto this muslin base, I machine stitched strips of vintage linens and lace, found fabrics in cotton, silk and velvet, and hand dyed fabrics.
- Onto these strips, I added hand embroidery, buttons and beads.
- I attached a piece of thin copier paper to the back with heat activated fusible webbing (I used Steam-A-Seam).
- Using bookbinding PVA, I attached the paper backed fabric to the book cover allowing the fabric to hang over the edges a little.
Here’s the front cover:
And here’s the back cover. I’ll share the inner pages in another blog post soon. If you have any questions, feel free to comment below.