When I first started creating books, making neat and well finished covers was a challenge. I got better with a lot of practice and I made a video sharing some of the things I’ve learned along the way:
Here’s a quick checklist:
- Make sure the board and covering materials are square and grained correctly
- Cut the covering materials to the right size
- Glue the papers, not the board, in a star pattern
- Miter the corners using a scrap of the same book board
- Use a bone folder to get rid of air bubbles
Here are some sources for book board in the USA and if you live outside the US, feel free to share your favorite source in the comments below.