I recently repaired a friend’s book that she’d had for many years and loved, but it was falling apart. The cover was held on with duct tape and the pages were coming loose.
After removing and discarding the old covers, I began to repair the book block. I created channels in the spine with a saw, added thin cords and re-glued the spine. To strengthen it further, I added a layer of mull or super and a paper spine liner. I tipped in end sheets at the front and back, which together with the mull, attached the book block to the new cover.
I made a new hard cover with navy book cloth and a floral Japanese paper and cased in the restored book block. Here’s the finished book.
I hope she likes it!